|Special prices for School Groups – you can get 5/6 hours of tours and lunch at a very affordable rate!
Tours include:- Museum, operating stamper batteries, underground mine, village history, gold panning and cemetery.
History Hill Excursion Prices. All prices are a per head charge and include GST
History Hill Inspection
- Museum (too much to mention, please refer to our photo gallery), with lecture and optional 15 minute history video.
- Stamper Batteries, here we normally give the mine tour and battery lectures together and fully explain the gold process. Backed up with the real goods (retorts, steam pump, dolly pots, etc) a jaw crusher, steam engines and four operating stampers.
- The Son of Hope Gold Mine. An underground experience that has all the safety others don’t. Workcover inspected, with the highest standards. The ladders are to Workcover standards and a battery powered, trickle charged, inverter boosted, automatic back up power system ensures a constant flow of light to the normal earth leakage trip switch controlled 240 volt mains supply. Well ventilated with three entrances to the surface. The mine is comfortable but oozes with atmosphere and anticipation, complemented with its own sound system.
- Other views include a fully furnished Wattle and Daub Trappers Hut.
- Pond display with a “Nugget Retrieving Trommel”, Centrifugal Gold Concentrator, Gold Sluice, Jack Pump and Reduction Gear, highlighted with model stick figures gold panning. Plenty to interest.
Time needed – One and a half to two hours.
Village History Tour
For those who prefer a more detailed look at the historic village of Hill End. With groups of 100 or more we normally split into two groups and swap with gold panning.
A self guided village history tour is available on the website.
Time needed about one hour
Normally done on site in lower Golden Gully, Tambaroora. Guides will have the dishes full (definitely unsalted, it’s the luck of the draw). Please don’t let the students think they’re going to make a fortune. That happened a hundred years ago. They can get just as excited re-living history doing the same as was done a hundred years ago and most should find a few colours.
The excitement of the find in the real situation is priceless! We do not like to see kids disappointed. Our instructors have the first dishes full upon arrival.
The tutors do not do the panning for the kids its up to them to have a go themselves on site.
Time needed about one hour.
Book direct with Ted Abbott – Phone 02 – 6337 8251
2 Hour Gold Panning
Same as above but longer. * Warning: Some businesses try to sell fake gold samples as real gold to unsuspecting children. We supply free (empty) gold sample bottles to those who find gold and it is “finders keepers”.
Time needed 2 hours.
Lunch for the Day Visitor
The Dining room can seat comfortably 130 people.
For large school groups lunch is normally staggered to ease congestion.
Special diets can be catered for by request. For primary schools we cater for two serves each. Contents, bread, sausages, eggs and sauce. Cordial is supplied to each student.
Morning or afternoon tea
Orange juice, museli bar and cookies. Optional tea / coffee.
Halal and vegetarian alternatives available on request.